FINLANDIA. O.S. Ref. SD 687 405
A small gritstone quarry on the east end of Longridge Fell. There are two rock faces each giving a different style of climbing. The quarry is very sheltered from the prevailing weather and receives plenty of sunshine till late afternoon. There is however seepage after rain. There are a few belay stakes and plenty of trees.
Approach and Access.
From the rough parking place at Kemple End cross the road and go through a gateway, a short track leads into the quarry. The land is part of the Tilhill Economic Forestry coverage and no problems have been encountered.
Climbs are described from right to left. They vary in height from 5m to 8m. Commencing with the faulted and cracked wall seen on right when entering the quarry, climbs are described R – L.
1. First Fin VS 4c Layback the hanging arête right of an obvious corner.
2. The Baltic VD The obvious corner.
3. Second Fin HSev 4b * Climb a thin crack to reach the arête.
4. Bo VS 4c The crack 1m left with an awkward start.
5. Frank HS 4b The crack system 2m left.
6. Marc Sev 4a Ragged crack in the upper wall.
7. Michael Sev 4b The next juggy crack.
8. Where’s Chris? HSev 4b Triple cracks in the upper wall.
9. Sibelius VD Blocky crack 1m left finishing right of a tree.
10. Mickey Finn Sev 4a Groove and top wall finishing left of the tree.
Rockfall has demolished this small east-facing wall. Keep well clear. [December 2019]
The wall directly above the pool.
22. Lapland HSev 4b Left of the corner there is an undercut slab above a recess, climb on small edges to flakes and a blocky finish.
23. Northern Lights VD Climb up into slot between blocks, a corner and blocks above.
24. Midge Summer’s Day Sev 4a From a lower level climb wall past pockets to an exit groove on the right.
25. Bank Holiday HSev 4b 1m left mantle onto a ledge and climb the wall to the right of tree with a bulging finish.
26. Basking Shark VS 4c 1m left again mantle onto a ledge and finish left of the tree.
27. Lundy Lament HSev 4b Broken wall, ragged crack and groove.
28. Flaky Sev 4a Flakes leading to the top just right of a tree.
29. Twistin’ By the Pool VS 4c * Climb a bulging wall past a large pocket to an undercut break, reach left to a smaller pocket in the upper slab finishing left of the tree.
30. Kingfisher VS 4c Steep wall just left direct to the upper pocket.
31. Finish! HSev From higher level climb the short wall to tree root, finish right behind the tree.